We all like a nice smile, right? Author Roy T. Bennet put it well, “A smile puts you on the right track. A smile makes the world a beautiful place.” Studies have shown that smiling makes us attractive, reduces stress, elevates our mood, lowers blood pressure and even makes us look younger. But what if you don’t have the smile that you want? If you have concerns about your smile, or maybe some dental problems that need to be corrected, it may be high time to choose braces.
When Do You Need Braces?
According to the American Association of Orthodontists, about 4 million people wear braces in America. Braces do more than improve your smile. They can correct a variety of dental problems including an overbite or underbite, crowded or crooked teeth, serious gaps between the teeth, teeth turned in different directions and jaw misalignments.
If you have concerns about any of these issues, you should speak with your orthodontist, then plan to choose braces to improve your dental health as well as your smile.
How to Choose the Right Braces
The decision to choose braces is an important one. Your orthodontist will provide a comprehensive examination of your mouth and jaws in order to offer a recommended approach. These considerations will help you decide how to proceed:
- Do you mind if people know that you are straightening your teeth?
- How badly are your teeth crooked or misaligned?
- How “modern” to you want your braces to look?
- Do you want to consider braces with color?
What are My Choices?
There are many options as you prepare to choose braces, including:
- Metal braces. These are brackets formed from high-grade stainless steel which are attached to each tooth, with small elastic bands connecting an archwire to the brackets. This approach is excellent for more complex tooth and jaw issues.
- Ceramic braces. These are less visible but less durable compared to metal braces.
- Clear aligners. Ideal for the image-conscious and easier to maintain.
- Lingual braces, attached to the back of your teeth, making the braces less conspicuous.
Choose an Expert Orthodontist You Can Rely On
When you want to choose braces, contact Reese Orthodontics, The Smile People, based in Charleston, SC. Over 11,000 people have trusted Reese Orthodontics to transform their smiles and their lives. Great options. Great service. Great results.